In response to the Daily Post, which asks about a story behind my name, I have a lot to share. Or very little. We’ll find out by the end of this post. There is no significant story behind my name except the peculiar spelling and obvious foreign heritage of the word. “Ramisa.” Have you ever heard somebody called that before?
My name is Ramisa. However, this isn’t the only name I go by. Others include Remy, called by my close friends, or MidnightAria, my username for everything. Then there are always nicknames I’ve earned, but haven’t quite claimed as my own.
But today, I shall focus on the given name, as it will always be my permanent identity.
Behind the name: Ramisa
My real name, Ramisa, was assigned by my parents. As a child, I used to hate it. I still think it looks like of weird in print. But I suppose I’ve grown used to it. Also, I can’t imagine being called anything else –not “Nicole” (one of my dad’s favourites) or “Parisa” (meaning fairy, but then my superstitious mother decided it may be a bad omen)
It means “white rose.” However, my parents named me it intending to be, “Somebody who helps others.” Which I suppose is quite similar to the alternate meaning as “saviour.” I wasn’t named this until I was born, though. It was more of a careful pick through a huge database of names until they found it (they overcomplicate everything)
Never have I befriended another Ramisa. It’s becoming a trending name in my country, Bangladesh, but it’s still pretty uncommon (from what I’ve heard). I’ve met other Ramisas though. But it was more of a one-day meet and never-see-again kind of situation.
I’ve always wondered what it’s like to have a common name. To kind of glance up everytime somebody’s calling it, but then you realise they’re not talking to you. Thankfully, whenever anybody says, “Ramisa” it’s me. It’s always me (which is sometimes a bad thing)
But my name, I suppose, grew on me. I used to want to change it to something more common like Yazmin (with a “z.” Terrible, I know. But I was 10) or Ginny (Harry Potter grew on me. I’ve always thought redheads were ridiculously pretty).
Now, I wouldn’t change it for the world.
*NOTE: For some reason, this post was track-backed to the Fight or Flight Daily Prompt by mistake. Sorry! I can’t seem to delete the link…
OTHER WONDERFUL STORIES BEHIND NAMES:
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | To Breathe is to Write
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name: Myrna | Warrior In Heels
- What’s In A Name?? | Life As I Know It
- The Right Nickname: I Keep On Searchin’ | Required Writing
- My Name Is… | It’s Mission Slimpossible!
- A Word About My Name | The Curse of Future Tom
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | New Lease–Same Hope
- Daily Prompt: My Name | cheerios for dinner
- A Wiley By Any Other Name | Wiley’s Wisdom
- What’s In My Name? | Writing The Girl
- What’s in a name? | AnxiousElephant
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | CARPENTER’S QUILL
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | A Small Press Life
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name / Haiku | damarisafari
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name – or something that vaguely resembles it | A Number of Things
- Welcome to a new friend: Veronica Haunani Fitzhugh –charlottesville winter | Hey Sweetheart, Get Me Rewrite!
- V is for… |
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name: Thanks to Lindsay Wagner | The Road 2 Cute Shoes
- Say My Name? If I must…. | theeldertreeblog
- Say My Name | Pinkpodster Ponders
- What’s In a Name? Learning to Be Sharon | Midlife Moments
- I’m Kassie, spelled with a “K” | The Oracle of Grooviness
- Say My Name | The Lessons of Chi
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name: What’s in a Name anyway ? | Thoughts of a Lesser Canine
- It’s a good thing my parents called me Marnie because that’s what everyone calls me! | Marnie Brown Music
- It’s a good thing my parents named me Marnie because that’s what everyone calls me! | Marnie Brown Music
- Girl “A” | Twoscamps
- Say Your Name | the hitchhiker’s guide to exploring the third world
- My Name is… | Zhentalis | Phoenix L.c.
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | Piedrasplatas
- It’s All About m(e) | mirannanda
- It’s with a “K” and only one “S” | It’s a wonderful F’N life
- What is in a Name? (Or, Online Distractions Led me to Drunken Babies and Name Analysis) | sharonholly
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | The Undercover Princess
- THINK…about my name | ACT. REACT. or just THINK about it!
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | life n me!
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | sukies original
- Memoirs: What’s in a name? A Crepe! | Bastet and Sekhmet
- A Tale of Me | Tokyo Tales
- Hello. My name is Zeinab. | Zen Scribbles
- my name is | Bubonicboon
- What’s in a name? | Sweet Somethings
- My Name is a Four Letter Word | realdale
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | Passionate Ambika
- Daily Prompt Collision: Say Your Name | My Elegantly Cluttered Chamber
- Three simple letters, many complications | Right The Writer
- Daily Prompt: Say Your Name | cognitive reflection
- Day 296. Our I.D. | Three Hundred Sixty-Five